Sunday 29 April 2018

I’m a proud brown-skinned Indian, Diana Hayden slams Tripura CM

Tripura Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb said on 26 April at a workshop in Agartala that international beauty pageants were a farce and questioned the rationale behind crowning Diana Hayden "Miss World" 21 years ago. According to him, Aishwarya Rai is the true epitome of Indian beauty - presumably because of her fair skin.

Diana Hayden, Biplab Kumar Deb and Aishwarya Rai. (Photo courtesy:  Facebook)
Now Diana Hayden, who won the Miss World contest in 1997, has reacted to the comment saying that she’s deeply saddened by the Tripura CM’s comment. In an interview to News18, she said:

“I am fighting this brown skin bias since my childhood. And I have succeeded. People should be proud of my achievement, rather than belittling it. I am a proud brown-skinned Indian. I am hurt. The minister is in a prominent position and he should be careful about what he says.”
Diana Hayden

Here’s a recap of what Deb said:
“We see women as goddess Laxmi, Saraswati. Aishwarya Rai represents the Indian women. She became the Miss World and that’s all right. But I do not understand the beauty of Diana Hayden... Why are there no more beauty pageant winners from India? They (the jury) have captured the market in the country and have gone elsewhere.”
Biplab Deb, Tripura CM

(Source: The Quint)

No comments:

Post a Comment